Jon gets his oar in…

“So now we’ll just see how long it takes Jon to get his oar in”

The evidence is irrefutable — it took me almost exactly two months…

Despite the fact that it’s a hopeless task, I wanted to have both oars in the water, all of my ducks in a nice row, and put some boots on the ground. And of course, as these things often go, I won the argument and then decided that I was wrong once I started down the road we’d chosen.To recap: I had come to the conclusion that developing the combination of input constraints and flexibility required for creating a SKOS-based user interface was going to take quite a bit of time and I wanted to get some of the vocabularies we already had loaded up in a hurry.Where I stumbled was over the other immediate need — a platform to begin exploring change management and versioning. This was much more daunting without a user interface and so I decided that we needed at least a minimal interface. In developing this we came to the conclusion that not only didn’t we need all of SKOS’s extensibility in the editing interface, we didn’t even need all of SKOS, and this made it a lot easier.

>So I ended up developing a fairly useful interface (much room for improvement), which Diane has been using to move our pre-built vocabularies into the Registry. As these things often go, after using the interface for a while Diane began wishing that we’d gone ahead and done the file upload first — some things are much more efficiently done with copy/paste/edit rather than form entry. Which is also something to consider as we move forward.

And we want to move forward fairly quickly with user management, change history and notifications, and implementing the cookbook (probably not in that precise order) so we can open this up to more general usage and start getting some feedback.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *